Friday, August 24, 2007

Who aspires to get off this "Rock"?

My girl "XO" needs to vent.  She's only been in Cayman for a little while, but she is not happy with some things that she sees:
    "I just want to know, do any Caymanian youths ever wonder what kind of lifestyle they can have elsewhere?  I believe that every Caymanian should make traveling off the island a part of their 'coming of age' so to speak.  Mandatory travel to places other than Miami and England should be the norm rather than the exception.  Whether for educational purposes or just pleasure, travel will give a broader perspective on "what's out there".  While you are at it, see if you can meet a mate off island as well, because after all why should you have to end up marrying your 2nd cousin if you don't have to?
    I am not impressed with 13 year old pregnant girls.  Furthermore, 13 year old pregnant girls with 18 year old boyfriends.  What the hell is that?  Statutory rape in most countries!  I know a girl who is 23yrs old with 5 children, by various men.  I'm sure you know someone like this who lives down the street.   It is disturbing to me because young women like this will never be who they were born to be.  The young men who walk around impregnating girls who are still children will never be who they were born to be either.  Beside where are the parents in all this, and what are they doing?  Oh yes, I was just reminded that they are too busy reproducing to care.  I won't even go into the cases of domestic abuse, sexual assault, and incest.  They are rarely published, punished, or thought about...after all this is paradise.
    Life is not about being stagnant.  That should be the first lesson in any Caymanian school.  Get off "The Rock" and see the world.  Ignorance is not bliss!  The future of intelligent Caymanian leaders is being narrowed down to the children of those in government right now.  As far as I can see, this place is a mini USA is in the making, where the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer."
I totally agree.  The sad saga will continue, but I'm here to keep you posted...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading this blog! I understand the sarcasm, as well as the objectiveness of the posts. This particular post shows that even a newcomer with some insight can care enough to see how f$#ked up "Paradise" is. Makes you wonder when other people who live here stopped caring.

Anonymous said...

I prefer to have a bunch of kids with different women, drink a lot of beer, and mess with the female tourists. It is the traditional Cay way. Don't hate, appreciate.